Friday, February 6, 2009

How Much...

How much will my sin cost you?
How much will your sin cost me?

I grew up hearing my father (a Senior Pastor) speak this quite often and I must say it is now ingrained in my head.  The thought is simple yet very life changing.  

For example...

Someone robs a department store and thousands of merchandise is theirs for free.  Then the department store must raise prices, hire security, or place video surveillance to recover and prevent the loss.  This costs them more money...  

How do they recover the loss?

Prices go up and the consumer pays for the stolen merchandise that the thief got for "free 99"...

Same with our ethics and morality.

When we lie, disobey, deceive, steal, lie, gossip etc... It cost someone.  Now as Christians, yes, Jesus Christ came and paid the ultimate price for our sin...  But the principles of God's Word outline consequences for sin.  

We always ask why does God let bad things happen to "good " people...  Maybe God doesn't...  I don't know the answer but the thought runs through my mind, "maybe it's our sin that costs those 'good' people."

I know its theologically so debatable.  I know.  I'm not answering questions or offering solutions.  Simply saying our sin has costs and those costs don't end with us...

Today we have the ability to set those running after us for success... further, faster, quicker.  We can pay the price for a higher standard and more intense character.

The race is still going and we "get" to pay-in for others and not cost them.

2 comments:

  1. wow! my sin will cost others AND my character and obedience can also bless others. if i handle my money right, the kingdom will be blessed, my family will be blessed, etc.... so, if doing right blesses others who will miss out if i don't? If God answers prayer, what happens if i don't pray? will things go undone that God willed done because i didn't. so will God's will happen, anyway? not at all!!! maybe this is why Jesus called the Lazy servant "WICKED" in the Parable of the talents. i am with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The only thing that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing"
    --Edmund Burke

    ReplyDelete